The Top 10 Quotes from Charlie Munger
We love Charlie Munger at Saddleback BBQ. He is a mentor of ours. Here are our top 10 favorite quotes from Charlie Munger:
- "To get what you want, you have to deserve what you want. The world is not yet a crazy enough place to reward a whole bunch of undeserving people."
- "I constantly see people rise in life who are not the smartest, sometimes not even the most diligent, but they are learning machines. They go to bed every night a little wiser than they were when they got up and boy does that help, particularly when you have a long run ahead of you."
- "The great investors are always very careful. They think things through. They take their time. They're calm. They're not in a hurry. They don't get excited. They just go after the facts, and they figure out the value. And that's what we try to do."
- "If you want to be a good investor, you have to have a long-term perspective. You have to be willing to be very patient and wait for the right pitch. And when you get the right pitch, you have to be ready to swing hard. You can't just take a little teeny tiny swing. You have to swing with all your might."
- "The best thing a human being can do is to help another human being know more."
- "I always laugh when people talk about how they're going to learn how to invest. It's not a subject you learn in a few weeks. It takes a lifetime to learn how to invest properly."
- "The big money is not in the buying and the selling, but in the waiting."
- "I don't have to be an expert on every company, or even many. I only have to be able to evaluate industries and the leaders within them."
- "You're not learning anything if you're not making mistakes."
- "I believe in the discipline of mastering the best that other people have ever figured out. I don't believe in just sitting down and trying to dream it all up yourself. Nobody's that smart."